Sunday, August 30, 2009

Vogue 8411 Dress

I've been meaning to start this blog for some time now. I've learned how to sew thanks to the many blogs and tutorials available on the web, and so I would like to share my sewing with others going through the same process. So here goes...

As for the dress, it's made out of a lightweight rayon from denverfabrics. Many people on patternreview said that it was super easy and quick - I am a beginner, so I would hardly characterize it has quick, but definitely is doable. This *was* my first time putting sleeves on something after all! The instructions were easy to follow. Sizing was much to big as others have stated - I cut a 10, then took in the side seams at least an inch on both sides of the top bodice and a little bit in the back seam to make a more fitted look. The pleating was not difficult, but time consuming. I did hand baste, which was slow going, but worked fine. The sleeves I did incorrectly, so they are a little tight on the shoulders. I have now found this excellent tutorial which I will attempt next time: here. I also found a new technique for gathering, which i pulled the bobbin and top thread through the machine so there was enough to match the whole length of the gather. I then did a zig zag stitch over it like many do over a piece of cotton yarn (which I didn't have). All you have to do is pull the 2 threads through and you have a gather without tying any knots or anything. It's a pleasant, comfortable dress. Unfortunately it is still too hot to wear it around here this time of year!


The wrinkles are strangely much more prominent in the sun than in person! Maybe I will iron before shooting next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment