Monday, August 31, 2009

Six Panelled Skirt Pattern Tutorial



The easiest pattern to make to fit yourself! Here it is: I just used a trapezoidal piece of newspaper based on my measured waist circumference divided by 6 and hip circumference divided by 6, as pictured below. Just add seam allowances and you have a lovely pattern. I sewed the 6 panels together, taking in an extra dart on the two back ones. I then made facings by tracing the pieced together skirt, ironed on some interfacing and sewed it inside. I put in a side invisible zipper. One of my skirts I used french seams and put in a lining, the other I just did normal seams, no lining, and probably didn't even tack down the facing. For the one above I used a 1.5 yards of a dobby cotton Kokka fabric - not sure who the designer was.



Look - french seams! Usually I'm too scared to do French seams because they seem so permanent. The bottom overlay of dupioni silk is done in an unusual fashion since I didn't know how to sew a curve at the time. I simply cut out a piece of fabric the same size as the bottom curve of the skirt, then put wrong sides together to sew the bottom hem. I flipped the dupioni over, folded it under, and top stitched. It actually makes a neat hem because there is no hem stitching, and the french seams are hardly visible. For the lining I just used the rolled hem foot on my sewing machine.
Here's the invisible zipper with lining:
Here's a view of the top stitching:


No comments:

Post a Comment